Gas Safe Register1981246

From Mu Origin Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

What is Gas Safe?

Gas Safe Register is the official registration body for engineers who are officially permitted to work on gas appliances (eg. Boilers, cookers, fires). Legally all gas engineers must be registered.

Gas Safe was formerly recognized as CORGI.

Gas Safe is in charge of keeping a record of all registered Gas Safe engineers, and also investigating claims of engineers working illegally, investigating customer complaints about unsafe gas work, inspecting engineers on the register to make sure they meet the needed requirements and raising awareness about gas security.

How will I know if an engineer is Gas Safe registered?

1. Gas Safe registered engineers carry registration cards, which you should ask to see before the engineer does any work for you 2. You can verify online on the Gas Safe Register 3. You can ask the engineer to show you his Gas Safe Register ID card

It is important to check that an engineer is registered. Engineers who are not registered cannot legally work on gas. By using an unregistered engineer you would put your family members and home at danger since unsafe gas work can trigger explosions, carbon monoxide poisoning, leaks and fires.

I am a landlord. What are my gas security obligations?

As a landlord you are responsible for the safety of your tenants, whether or not brief or lengthy term.

You are accountable for making certain that all gas appliances in the property and gas pipes and flues are serviced at least each 12 months in line with manufacturer directions/recommendations.

If directions or suggestions are not available then a service by a Gas Safe engineer should be adequate.

By law, you should keep a copy of your landlord certificate for a minimum of 2 years, and you must provide a copy to your tenant within 28 days.

If a tenant provides their personal gas appliance then as a landlord you are only accountable for the maintenance of the pipework leading to the appliance (but not the appliance itself, which remains the responsibility of the tenant).

You should use a Gas Safe engineer for all maintenance and work.

I am a student. What should I check in my new rental property?

Your landlord is accountable for proving to you that the gas pipework, flues and appliances in your accommodation are safe by showing you a copy of the most current Gas Safe landlord certificate.

But what should you be particularly aware of?

Carbon monoxide can kill. It is a great idea to buy a carbon monoxide alarm and take it with you to each property that you rent. It could save your life by alerting you if things are no longer safe. Carbon monoxide has no smell and it can be difficult to detect if you don't have an alarm. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Your landlord has to have your gas appliances, flues and pipework serviced and checked Every YEAR. He/she will be able to show you a copy of the most current inspection report, and you will need to give access to the property for the annual checks to be made when it is time. Your landlord should give you a copy of the Gas Safety check report inside 28 days of when it is performed, or when you move in. If your landlord can't offer this then you should look into this additional for your own safety as this may mean that the gas appliances and pipework are not safe (and at danger of fire, explosion, leaks or carbon monoxide poisoning). If you think your landlord is not complying with the law you can get in touch with Gas Safe Register.

When an engineer arrives to do the annual check, you should ask to see his/her Gas Safe card.

If you bring your personal gas appliance into a property, then you are accountable for getting it checked and making certain that it is safe and running properly. Your landlord is only accountable for ensuring the security of the pipework that connects to the appliance.

Registered Engineers